Tuesday, September 7, 2010

How is Your Light?

The last few days I've been pondering Jesus' words, "You are the light of the world." Today that passage lit up my soul.

Let's first examine light. When you turn ON light or a lamp it dispels the darkness, it illuminates a room so that people can see what's in the room and so that you can find your way around the room without bumping into things and hurting yourself right? In the New Testament era, there was no electricy, so lamps were used and lamps are mobile. They were held in front of you so that you could see where you were walking or in the home, they were carried from room to room as needed then put on a stand.

Picture with me millions of lamps lit throughout the world. Picture New York, Washington DC, Beijing, China or New Delhi, India at night with all the lights aglow as you watch as from a mountain or the highest point of the city. That's us in the spirit realm. Some are bright lights, some are dim lights. Some are big lights and some are small lights. Some are street lights shining for all who pass by while some are only lit in their home. We are the LIGHT of the world. If we turn our lights OFF what good are we? Imagine an electrical black out after a storm with thousands in darkness; no candles or kerosene lamps available. How horrid right?

The Son of God came to give light to a spiritually dark world. Jesus said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." (John 8:12) However the Light of God needs vessels or lamps to house the Light of God. That's us. For it is written, "For God, who said, 'Let light shine out of darkness,' made His light shine in our hearts to give us the light of knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ...We have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all surpassing power is from God and not from us." (2 Cor. 4:6, 7)

We are the lamps, the vessels that house the light of God and that bring light to a dark world. So how is your light? Is it lit? Are you shining in this world of spiritual darkness? Can anyone follow your light to get out of darkness? Can they see Christ in you? The next question is, "Is your light bright or growing dim?"

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."

If you want to have the light of Jesus to illuminate your heart and life and get rid of the darkness of your sin, pray this prayer with me:

"Father, I have sinned. I am not worthy of you. But you said, that if I confess my sins you are faithful and just and will forgive me of all my sins and purify me of all unrighteousness. Forgive me and cleanse me now, Father, I pray. Let the light of Jesus Christ shine in my heart so that I can see and so that I may live as one of your vessels, as one of your children, and become a light in this dark world, in Jesus' name I pray. Amen."

If this blog has been a blessing to you, please be an encouragement to me and let me know. The Lord be with you.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Beverly -

    Yes, this blog is an encouragement to me.

    The holy vessels of our Lord indeed have burning lights that manifest the love, and power of Almighty GOD.

    Truly GOD has His people on one accord. After I spoke with you today and after I read this post, I went back to the Thursday September 9, 2010 and Friday September 10, 2010 postings that I placed on my blog. We have both discussed matters concerning our Lord's light. Only GOD...

    Thank you, precious sister, for being a light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminds me of the verse that says, One can put 1,000 to flight but two can put 10,000 to flight. We all need to link arms and shine together.

    ReplyDelete